On any given day, San Luis artist Huberto Maestas can be found in his studio working on a sculpture for the Pueblo Riverwalk or for clients across the United States. He is among the many talented artists who call the San Luis Valley home.
A Traveler's Blog
Do you want to visit Alamosa like you know a local? Here is your chance! Enjoy the following feature articles written by a traveler enjoying some hidden (and not so hidden) treasures around the San Luis Valley.
Capturing Astrophotography in Colorado’s Great Sand Dunes National Park
As if capturing the intricate and vast solar system on camera isn't challenging enough, photographing the comsos from the Great Sand Dunes National Park presents additional challenges. The park is full of dynamically changing lighting, biologically diverse landscapes, and grandiose photo subjects. So then why is the national park recognized as top spot in Colorado for photographers? Because if done right... the results are extraordinary.
The town of Alamosa has been dubbed the “heart of the San Luis Valley” due to its convenient location to an extensive list of nearby adventures. In town, visitors can expect to find relaxation and comfort within our accommodations which are made better by our communities laid-back and welcoming atmosphere. Whether you're visiting for business or for pleasure, you’ll be happy to find that you don’t have to travel far to find accommodations fit for your perfect trip. Both in town and nearby, there’s a handful of hotels and motels waiting to welcome you for a delightfully rejuvenating experience. Acting as the gateway to the Great Sand Dunes National Park, Alamosa has long been the go-to spot for visitors interested in experiencing all there is to do in the region.
If the San Luis Valley isn’t already a stop within your next Colorado road trip—it certainly should be! The region encompasses some of Southern Colorado’s top destinations and mystic sights, such as the Great Sand Dunes National Park, Sangre de Cristo Mountains, Rio Grande, Cumbres & Toltec Scenic Railroad, and much, much more. Aside from offering a full spectrum of outdoor activities, our region has numerous places to set up camp—whether that means pitching a tent or finding a spot to park your RV or van.
During the month of April, we're launching a campaign to Celebrate the Great Sand Dunes National Park and Preserve! National Parks Week is April 16-24, and we're extending that celebration all month long. When you visit Alamosa during April 2022, be on the lookout for displays of our love for our favorite National Park. The “We Love Our National Park” campaign will feature flags displayed downtown, posters, stickers, digital promotion, and special events throughout the month.
Traveling anywhere can get expensive, luckily there’s plenty to do in Alamosa that will cost you nothing at all! Here are some of our favorites.
Photographer Erica Robinson shares three secrets to getting the best photos at Great Sand Dunes National Park & Preserve.
Go on a bison tour on the vast 100,000-acre bison ranch right next to the Great Sand Dunes National Park & Preserve.
What do ancient camels, elk and 24,000 sandhill cranes have in common? In the San Luis Valley, each were or are dependent on the wetlands in Alamosa National Wildlife Refuge and the Monte Vista National Wildlife Refuge for survival. Here are six reasons why you should visit the refuges.
More Articles ...
- The Most Instagrammable Places near Great Sand Dunes
- The Michaelanglo of San Luis
- Nine Best Americana Stops near Great Sands Dunes National Park
- Your Guide to Camping in the San Luis Valley
- Truly Farm-to-Tap Beer
- Best Place in Colorado to Drink A Beer
- Why 3 Days Is the Bare Minimum You Should Stay In and Around Great Sand Dunes National Park
- Great Sand Dunes Designated as International Dark Sky Park
- Chugga Chugga Choo Choo Survey
- 11 Adventures That You Can Only Have in the San Luis Valley of Southern Colorado
- An Inside Look at the Impressive Beer Scene of Alamosa
- The Ultimate Road Trip Guide From Denver to Alamosa
- On the Outskirts of the Great Sand Dunes: 8 Can't-Miss Experiences Outside Park Boundaries
- What to do on Valentine's Day in Alamosa
- 10 Things to Know Before Planning a Trip to Great Sand Dunes National Park
- How to Have a Memorable Family Vacation in the San Luis Valley
- Annual Christmas Bird Count at Great Sand Dunes
- A Food-Lover's Guide to Alamosa
- Halloween in Alamosa
- The Captivating Story of Colorado's Historic Alamosa